Skip to main content

COVID-19 and your utility bills, telecommunications service, and broadband

See this information in Arabic | Spanish

Worried about your energy bill?

Residential customers who need assistance with their electricity or heating bills because of impacts of the coronavirus should take the following steps:

Step 1: Be proactive - Contact your utility or propane supplier to ask what kind of protections, funding, flexible payment options, or energy saving tools and resources are available.

Step 2: Get help by calling 211 - Call 2-1-1 and ask how you can get help paying your utility bill or go to to learn about agencies that may assist you with your energy bill. 

Step 3: State Emergency Relief (SER) Program - Apply directly through MI Bridges for bill payment assistance or call 855-275-6424. Information is required to verify your income so you may want to work with your utility or 2-1-1 first on tips to navigate this process.

Step 4: Apply for a Home Heating Credit Starting January 1st - Visit the Michigan Department of Treasury's website to see if you qualify. Applications are accepted January 1 - September 30 each year. Even though this funding is distributed by the MI Dept. of Treasury, you do not need to pay taxes or wait for a tax return to receive this credit. You can apply any time after January 1. For more information about the Home Heating Credit, see our consumer tip

Even if your income has recently changed due to COVID-19, help is available. Click here for more information about energy assistance.

COVID Emergency Rental Assistance

If you are a renter and could use help with your rent and/or utilities, please visit to learn more about the COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) Program run through the Michigan State Housing Development Authority. This website will give you information on who is eligible, how to apply, and all the program details. Don't miss out on this valuable resource to help with your housing costs.

Business customers who need assistance with their utility bills because of impacts of the coronavirus should take the following steps:

Step 1: Be proactive - Contact your utility or propane supplier to ask what kind of protections, funding, flexible payment options, or energy saving tools and resources are available..

Step 2: Explore available assistance options -  The Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) provides a collection of resources to help Michigan businesses navigating the pandemic. General resources and consumer tips are also available on the MPSC's business consumer page.

For DTE business customers:

DTE COVID-19 Support Link
DTE has temporarily revised its payment plan policies to protect those who have been negatively impacted by COVID-19. Payment option information and resources are available at the above link.

For Consumers Energy business customers:

Consumers Energy Small Business COVID Response
Use this link for a phone number for businesses to use when struggling with bills, links to sources of assistance for businesses, and Virtual Energy Coaching.

Additional small business information related to COVID-19:

  • Small Business Centers - Michigan
    Michigan's Small Business Development Center provides a summary of support programs and information to help Michigan businesses during the COVID-19 crisis.
  • Restaurant Relief Fund
    The Restaurant Revitalization Fund provides emergency assistance for eligible restaurants, bars, and other qualifying businesses impacted by COVID-19.
  • Michigan Safe Start Plan
    The MI Safe Start Plan outlines how the state will begin to safely reengage. Information is available for employers, employees, and the public.

Step 3: Review your current rate structure - Make sure your rate is the best available to suit the needs of your business. Contact your utility company directly to review all available rates or review them yourself.
Electric Rate information | Natural Gas Rate information

As a utility customer, you are responsible for paying for the energy you use, and it is important to make every effort to pay your utility bill on time. If you are unable able to pay the bill in full, making a partial payment is better than not paying anything at all.

Contact information for regulated utilities:

 Utility Contact Information

Alpena Power Co.


Aurora Gas Co.


Citizens Gas Fuel Co.


Consumers Energy Co.


DTE Energy Co.


Indiana Michigan Power Co.


Michigan Gas Utilities


Northern States Power Co. (Xcel)


Semco Energy Gas Co.


Superior Energy Co.


Upper Michigan Energy Resources

for former WEPCO customers

for former WPSC customers

Upper Peninsula Power Co.


Wisconsin Electric Power Co.


For additional issues related to utility service, contact the Michigan Public Service Commission's Customer Assistance Division at 800-292-9555 or

Concerned about your telecommunications or broadband service?

Affordable Connectivity Program

The Affordable Connectivity Program is an FCC benefit program that helps ensure that households can afford the broadband they need for work, school, healthcare and more.

The benefit provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

The Affordable Connectivity Program is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.

For more information regarding the ACP and Eligibility, go to the following links:

Wi-Fi Hotspot Map

The MPSC, in partnership with other State of Michigan agencies and Connected Nation Michigan, released a publicly available statewide Wi-Fi hotspot map to assist residents who currently lack internet access at home. Find a hotspot site near you.


If you are having financial difficulty obtaining telephone or broadband service, you may possibly qualify for the Lifeline program.  If you are participating in the Lifeline programs, you may also participate in the ACP as well.

Telephone or Cable/IPTV Television Complaint Assistance

For complaint assistance regarding your landline telephone service and/or your cable/IPTV television, contact the MPSC at 800-292-9555 or

COVID-19 Information

Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at and