File a Complaint
The Bureau of Community and Health Systems receive and process complaints for:
- Adult foster care and home for the aged.
- Children's and adult foster care camps.
- Child care homes/centers.
How to Make a Complaint
When making a complaint, it is important that you fill out the complaint form as completely as possible. Your name will be kept confidential and will not be released unless ordered by the court. You are not required to give your name or contact information. However, if you do not provide it, a licensing consultant will not be able to contact you if additional information is needed. Your complaint may not be assigned or may be unconfirmed due to an inability to reach you for follow-up.
To make a complaint, fill out the Online Complaint Form. If you cannot complete the online complaint form, you can either:
- Print and complete a paper Complaint Form:
Mail it to:
Bureau of Community and Health Systems
Children and Adult Licensing - Complaint Intake Unit
611 W. Ottawa, 1st Floor
PO Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909
- Fax it to: 517-284-9739
- Call 866-856-0126
A complaint must allege violations of the facility's governing act and rules. To review a facility's governing act or rules prior to making a complaint, go to:
- Adult foster care facilities - Adult Foster Care Facility Licensing Act (1979 PA 218), Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Family Homes, Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Small Group Homes (12 or less), Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Large Group Homes (13-20), Licensing Rules for Adult Foster Care Congregate Facilities (21 or more).
- Homes for the Aged - Homes for the Aged Public Health Code (excerpt) Act 368 of 1978 - BCAL PUB-338 and Licensing Rules for Homes for the Aged.
- Children's Camp or Adult Foster Care Camp - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116), Adult Foster Care Facility Licensing Act (1979 PA 218) and Licensing Rules for Children's and Adult Foster Care Camps.
- Child care facilities - Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116), Licensing Rules for Family and Group Child Care Homes, Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers, Child Protection Law (1975 PA 238).
Note: It is a crime to make a false complaint punishable by up to a $5,000.00 fine or imprisonment for up to four years or both. See MCL 722.115l.
Abuse and Neglect Complaints
Call 855-444-3911 if you are making a complaint regarding abuse, neglect or exploitation of a child or an adult.
If you are making a complaint regarding a home, center, or camp operating without a registration/license, you must indicate how you know they are operating without a registration/license.