The TSDL Collections in the Michigan Student Data System report links between students and the teachers who provide instruction to them. These data are necessary to meet the requirements of the America Competes Act, The State School Aid Act of 1979, and are used by the Michigan Department of Education in calculations for the Parent Dashboard for School Transparency. Data reported in the collection reflect the student's performance in classes taken throughout the current academic year.
Districts must submit full course data for the following populations:
- Migrant education participants (Grades 9-12)
- Dual enrollment participants (Grades 9-12)
- Early Middle College participants (Grades 9-12)
- Advanced and accelerated learning participants (All Grades)
- Advanced Placement (Grades 9-12)
- International Baccalaureate (All Grades)
- Virtual/online learning participants (All Grades)
Two TSDL Collections
1. Migrant TSDL Collection
- Only migrant students can be reported.
- Has a year-long reporting window (ongoing collection) so course information for a migrant student can be captured within 10 days of an enrollment or exit from a district.
- Districts with migrant-eligible students must submit course data within 10 days of the student enrolling in the district and within 10 days of the student exiting the district. Migrant-eligible students are reported to the Migrant Education Data System by districts' migrant liaisons. The MSDS receives nightly updates from MEDS indicating which students are migrant-eligible. MSDS system reports will be available when the collection opens to assist districts with this collection.
2. General TSDL Collection
- Is a single certify collection (like the general collections).
- Allows users to decertify/certify their collection to make course record changes without having to submit a new course record.
- Only non-migrant students requiring a TSDL submission can be reported.
- CEPI will merge migrant records with these records for state reporting purposes.
- One reporting window at the end of the school year (May-July).