MDE CDC Parent Section Title

Child Development and Care: Parents - Help with child care is available to parents who meet eligibility requirements to receive assistance with the costs of accessing high quality child care. The resources below will help you understand if you are eligible, how to apply, and how to select the right child care provider.



Am I eligible for child care assistance?

You may qualify for Michigan's Child Development and Care subsidy program if you need child care while you are engaged in:

  • Employment
  • High school completion
  • Family preservation
  • An approved activity

For a complete list of approved need reasons, please review the Bridges Eligibility Manual (BEM 703) policy. For most families, the department pays less than the full cost of child care. Families are expected to pay the difference between the subsidy payment and the provider's actual charge.

How do I apply for assistance?

If you need help paying for your child care, assistance may be available. Use MI Bridges to apply. If you cannot use MI Bridges to apply, you can use the paper Child Development and Care Application (MDE-4583). If you plan to use a license exempt (formerly known as unlicensed) child care provider who is not currently enrolled by the Department of Education, you will also need to have your provider complete the Child Development and Care License Exempt Provider Application. Make sure that your provider reads and meets the requirements to be an MDE enrolled license exempt child care provider. Have your provider submit the completed form, along with the required verifications, to the address or fax number listed on the application as soon as possible.

How can I find licensed child care providers in my area?

To find licensed child care providers in your area, visit Great Start to Quality has local resource centers throughout Michigan where staff can provide helpful answers to your questions. With just one phone call to 877-61GREATSTART (877-614-7328), you can get free information about your options.


Parent Forms & Publications

Parent Resources