The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Reporting Instruction Manual
Reporting Instruction Manual
The Reporting Instruction Manual (RIM) provides information and instructions to help you comply with the reporting and payment requirements of the retirement law. The information contained in the manual is adapted from statute, board decisions, and retirement system policy. If there are any discrepancies between the Reporting Instruction Manual and the actual law, the provisions of the law govern.
The chapters of this manual are listed on the left. You may need to scroll down to see all fourteen chapter names, as well as Appendix A, Appendix B and the Glossary. Click on the chapter name to see the sections of the chapter.
View Get to Know the New Reporting Instruction Manual (RIM) for tips on navigating the manual. You may search the manual by using the Search box at the top right of the screen.
- Search results will include pages in the Reporting Instruction Manual as well as other pages on the Employer Information website.
- To find an exact phrase, put the phrase in quotes. The results will only include pages with the same words in the same order as the ones inside the quotes.
- For example, searching on "defined contribution" will show only the results with that phrase, leaving out results with the word defined alone or contribution alone.
Additional Sources of Information
The Public School Employee's Retirement System member website, the Pension Plus Retirement Plan member website, and the Public School Employees' Retirement Act are valuable resources for you and your employees.
Recent Updates (past 12 months)
For updates made after March 18, 2022, the previous version is available in Appendix B. All links below go to the current version.
- 7.00.02: Summer Reporting (updated 5/2/2023)
- 7.03.07: Reporting wages without hours on a DTL2 record (updated 3/7/2023)
- 7.03.04: Reporting workers' compensation on a DTL2 record (updated 3/7/2023)
- 4.05.01: Normal salary increase (NSI) schedules for K12, charter schools/PSAs, ISDs, and libraries (employment class codes 1110, 1120, and 1130) (updated 10/18/2022)
- 4.05.02: Normal salary increase (NSI) schedule for colleges and universities (employment class codes 1110, 1120, and 1130) (updated 10/18/2022)
- 13.02.02: Detail 2 records - wage codes (updated 8/5/2022)
- 13.02.01: Detail 2 records - employment class codes and definitions (updated 8/5/2022)
- 9.02: Core services (only applies to retirees who retired between July 1, 2010 to July 1, 2022) (updated 8/5/2022)
- 9.00: Retirees who return to work (updated 8/5/2022)
- 7.05.08: Adjusting wages or hours on a DTL2 record (updated 8/5/2022)
- 7.03.08: Reporting retiree wages and hours on a DTL2 record (michigan.gov) (updated 8/4/2022)
- 7.03.00: Detail 2 (DTL2) records - common error messages (updated 8/3/2022)
- 3.03: Who is not a member (updated 8/3/2022)
- 3.02: Special membership circumstances (updated 8/3/2022)
- 1.07: How reporting units are activated and inactivated (updated 8/2/2022)
- 1.05 Retirement detail reports and records (updated 7/29/2022)
- 1.02.01: Targeted audits and reviews (updated 7/29/2022)
- 4.06: Gross earnings for defined contribution (DC) plans (updated 06/14/2022)
- 12.01: Creating a MILogin account and requesting reporting website access (updated 06/07/2022)
- 14.04.04: Validations run for DTL2 records (updated 05/21/2022)