Your Career Starts Here!
- General Information On How To Become A Law Enforcement Officer
Licensing as a law enforcement officer in Michigan must be approved through the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES). This happens when the following two requirements are met by the candidate: (1) compliance with MCOLES minimum selection standards which includes satisfactory completion of a basic police academy or recognition of prior training and experience, and (2) employment with a law enforcement agency as a law enforcement officer. Previously licensed police officers in Michigan, or from another state, who are seeking re-licensure are directed to the MCOLES Recognition of Prior Training and Experience program.
Recognition of Prior Training & Experience Program
In-Service Training Resources
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Training
- In-Service Training Course Registry
- MCOLES Advisory and Mandatory In-Service Standards
- Audiovisual Recording of Custodial Interrogations ~ Public Act 479 of 2012
- MCOLES Active Duty Firearms Standard: Mandatory Reporting
- Michigan Speed Measurement Standards Adopted by MCOLES ~ Effective January 1, 2010
- Web Sites of Interest / In-Service Training Resources