The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
MCOLES Public Safety Academy Assistance Program
The Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) has received funding for grants to law enforcement agencies for basic law enforcement training academy scholarships and salaries for employed recruits.
Program highlights include:
- $30,000,000.00 in total program funding.
- Up to $24,000.00 per recruit for academy costs and for salaries while attending an academy.
- Funding is available until September 30, 2026, or until the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
- As of February 2, 2024, $20,002,190.98 has been distributed, with $9,997,809.02 remaining.
- Scholarships are on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Agencies may receive up to 25 scholarships over the course of the program.
Applying for funds:
An eligible law enforcement agency and academy must complete the below process to be considered for this grant:
- Complete the standards screening and Candidate New Hire process in MITN. If your agency needs help with the MITN New Hire transaction process please view the Hiring Employed Recruits Guidance. Please review the Hiring Employed Recruits Guidance before calling or emailing the MITN Help Desk.
- Complete the agency portion of the MCOLES Public Safety Academy Assistance Program application.
- Forward the MCOLES Public Safety Academy Assistance Program application and Candidate New Hire documentation to the intended training program no later than 10 days prior to the start of the academy session.
- Enroll the recruit in the academy session.
- Complete the academy section of the MCOLES Public Safety Academy Assistance Program application.
- Forward the MCOLES Public Safety Academy Assistance Program application and New Hire Candidate documentation to MCOLES at MSP-MCOLES-Grants@michigan.gov.
Only when all materials have been received by MCOLES will the application be considered active. At this point the application will be placed in the queue while funding is available.
Distribution of funds:
Upon scholarship application approval by MCOLES, the employing agency will be provided with grant funding up to the $24,000.00 stipend for the employed recruit’s salary and academy costs. The employing agency will be responsible for making payments to the basic law enforcement training program, as well as the Talogy Group (formerly PSI) for the initial licensing exam registration fee. If the recruit withdraws from the academy session or resigns from the agency prior to the full $24,000.00 (or total grant award amount), the balance shall be returned to MCOLES and applied back to the scholarship fund. If an invoice for additional allowable expenses is included, the approved amount will also be paid at this time.
Also following application approval by MCOLES, the basic law enforcement training program will invoice the applying agency for the eligible expenses related to the recruit’s academy session. If the recruit withdraws from the academy session or resigns from the agency within the time period allowed for full or partial refund from the academy, that refund shall be returned to MCOLES and applied back to the scholarship fund.
Agencies would not also receive Training to Locals (TTL) reimbursements for employed recruits funded through this program. Recruits in excess of the 25 maximum scholarships per agency or those not funded by this program will remain eligible for TTL reimbursements to the agency.