Skip to main content

How to Apply

Old Michigan red school house
Michigan Office of Retirement Services

How to Apply

How to Apply

Applying for retirement in miAccount is fast and easy — five simple steps and you're done.

Before you apply:

We recommend you submit your retirement application and mail photocopies of your proofs to the Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) at least three months before your retirement effective date. You will not get retroactive benefits if you file more than 12 months after you become eligible for pension payments.

What you will need

ORS cannot process your retirement until you complete all the steps in miAccount and submit all the required documentation.

You'll also need to provide the following:

(Do not mail in original documents)

When Required/Special Notes

Proof of marriage To name your spouse as pension beneficiary and/or enroll them in your insurances, you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate and your spouse's government-issued birth certificate.
Proof of age Submit a copy of your and, if applicable, your pension beneficiary's government-issued birth certificates. See other acceptable proofs of age. If you elect a survivor option, you also need to provide proof of your spouse or beneficiary's age.
Proof of dependent's insurance eligibility If you enroll your dependents under your insurance plan, you must provide copies of government-issued birth certificates as proof of age and relationship; court orders to prove legal guardianship; and to prove adoption during adoption proceedings, a sworn statement with the date of placement or a court order verifying placement is required. For any child age 19 or older, we will also need the first page of your most recent federal Form 1040 tax form as proof of dependency and school records that prove full-time attendance.
Proof of disability for insurance dependents To ensure coverage for your incapacitated child, you will need to provide a current letter from the attending physician stating the child is totally and permanently disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment and detailing the disability, and the IRS Form 1040 that identifies the child as your dependent. We may ask for additional information to determine medical eligibility. Sometimes this may delay enrollment. You may also be asked to furnish proof of incapacitation and dependency each year.
Proof of residency To cover your parent(s) or parent(s)-in-law, you must provide proof of residency and proof of relationship. Proofs of residency include a copy of one of the following in the parent or parent-in-law's name showing your address: tax Form 1099 or tax Form 1098 for previous year, current voter registration card, state driver's license, or state-issued ID. Proof of relationship includes a copy of you or your spouse’s government-issued birth certificate or valid passport or valid driver’s license.
Insurance information For anyone covered under another plan, including Medicare, who is enrolling in health insurance, include that plan's information as requested on the retirement application.
Social Security Statement Required if you selected an equated plan. To obtain your estimate, you'll need to request a statement from the Social Security Administration website documenting your age 62 benefit amount.