Skip to main content

Credit for Service

Throughout your service in the military, you completed ongoing training and education for your military occupation. You also may have utilized testing benefits for exams such as CLEP while serving in the military. Colleges and universities throughout the state will evaluate your military training and education using your Joint Services Transcript or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF Transcript) to determine if you will receive transfer credit. To learn more about having your prior learning evaluated, contact the admissions office at the college or university you plan to attend.

If you have completed coursework in the past at a Michigan college or university, and you intend to transfer to a new school, you can learn more about transferring credits through the MI Transfer website for the Michigan Transfer Network. The website provides information about transfer equivalencies, transfer agreements between schools, and more.

Details about Credit for Service can be found below.

  • College Level Examination Program For Veterans


    CLEP allows veterans to receive college credit by earning qualifying scores on any one or more of 34 exams, allowing them to move directly into upper-level courses, saving time and money. Veterans can make the most of their GI Bill benefits by applying those funds toward needed courses. Earning credit quickly provides flexibility in managing the complex demands of jobs, families, and college-level course work.

    Depending on their benefits election, some veterans can claim full reimbursement for CLEP exams and exam administration fees under provisions of the Veterans' Benefits Improvement Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-454), which enhances the education benefits of the Montgomery GI Bill.

    Learn more about CLEP for Veterans.

    Sources:  College-Level Examination Program® 

    Get started with CLEP

    CLEP college credit policy search

    Find a test center

    CLEP exam topics

  • Joint Services Transcript


    JST is a military transcript that lists military coursework and occupations in terms of equivalent college credits as evaluated by American Council on Education. The primary purpose of JST is to assist soldiers in obtaining college credit for their military experience. The transcripts may be sent as official documents to colleges and universities at the student's request for use in the credential evaluation process.  Active duty service members and veterans may obtain a transcript that translates formal military education and job experience into civilian language. The transcript includes college equivalent credit recommendations. Active Duty, Reserve and veterans from the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy are eligible for JST transcripts.

    Read more about Joint Services Transcript