Skip to main content

Veteran License Plates and IDs

The Department of State offers veteran and military service plates for motorcycles and other passenger vehicles. Trailers and vehicles used commercially are not eligible for these specialty plates. 
If purchasing an original plate or replacing an existing plate when renewing, other registration fees may apply. Veteran plates can also be personalized for an additional fee. 
A Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty form (DD-214) must be presented when applying for certain veteran license plates. Visit the Secretary of State website for a full listing of plates and requirements. 
Veterans interested in obtaining one of the veteran license plates may apply at their local Secretary of State office by submitting a completed Application for Veteran License Plate

License Plate Raises Funds to Enhance Outreach Services

The Support Michigan Veterans license plate raises funds to enhance outreach and services to veterans. Proceeds from the plate will be used to provide outreach and services to veterans, such as education on the mental effects of war, PTSD and other service-related disabilities. At least 25 percent of the money will go to tuition support for members of the Michigan National Guard or the Children of Veterans Tuition Grant program
Michigan residents who want to help support outreach to veterans can purchase the plate at any Secretary of State office. To purchase a plate by mail or fax, complete and print the Support Michigan Veterans License Plate Order Form.  
Veteran Driver's License Designation 

 The veteran designation gives veterans an easy and optional way to prove their veteran status to receive discounts from businesses. Eligible veterans may get the designation by submitting a veteran designation application at any Secretary of State office or when renewing through the mail. The designation is available when applying for an original or renewal Michigan license or ID at no additional charge. If added at another time, correction fees will apply.

Military veterans who served in any branch of the U.S. armed forces and have an honorable or under honorable conditions (general) discharge may have a veteran designation printed on their Michigan driver's license or state identification card. The word "Veteran" will be printed in red on the front of the card.

For more information, visit the Secretary of State website.