The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
8.03.02: How to make a payment
8.03.02: How to make a payment
Once the bank account information is available on your employer reporting website, a staff member with Payment Processor access can make payments to ORS. Complete the required fields as denoted by the asterisk. The required fields are the only fields that are tracked by ORS; it is up to the reporting units to track the other fields if it wishes to retain the information. ORS advises that you obtain screen captures of the payment screen before you submit your payments.
To make a payment:
- Log in to the Employer Reporting website with your Payment Processor user ID and password.
- On the Things to Do left navigation menu click Payments.
- Click the Make Payment link.
- On the Enter Payment Information screen, select the bank account you want from the drop-down box.
- Enter the payment date. The Payment Date field defaults to today's date. You may choose a future date. The date entered in this field will be the effective date of your payment.
- In the Cash Receipt Type field, use the drop-down arrow to select the type of your payment.
- For contributions reported on a DTL2 or DTL3 record, select DB Contributions & TDP as the Cash Receipt Type.
- For contributions reported on a DTL4 - DC Contributions record select DC Contributions as the Cash Receipt Type.
- Universities will see two other options in the Cash Receipt Type drop-down box: Non-Member/Non-ORP (for paying pension unfunded actuarial accrued liability (UAAL) on non-member/non-ORP employees) and University Health (for paying health UAAL contributions on these employees).
- Select the correct cash receipt type, then click the Change Receipt Type button. The receipt type will not update to the selection in the drop-down box until this button is clicked.
Receipt Type: DB Contributions & TDP
The Payment Information screen for this receipt type will include fields for Employer Contribution, MIP (DB contributions), TDP, Late Fees and Interest, and Adjustments. Note: You are not required to use these fields. If you choose to use the fields to help you make your payment and wish to retain the breakdown, you must take a screen print or keep the information stored using another method before clicking the Make Payment button. ORS does not store this information, and it will be lost once the payment is made. ORS only stores the information in the fields marked with an asterisk. You can also use the detail boxes if you prefer to have the system calculate your total for you. To do this, click Calculate after some or all of the detail boxes have been populated. If you choose to not use the detail boxes, you can enter the total directly into the Total Payment Amount field.
Receipt Type: DC Contributions - Includes DC and Personal Healthcare Fund (PHF)
The detail box for the DC Contributions receipt type includes fields for Employer Contribution, Employee Contribution, Late Fee and Interest, and Adjustments. Note: You are not required to use these fields. If you choose to use the fields to help you make your payment and wish to retain the breakdown, you must take a screen print or keep the information stored using another method before clicking the Make Payment button. ORS does not store this information. It will be lost once the payment is made. ORS only stores the information in the fields marked with an asterisk. You can also use the detail boxes if you prefer to have the system calculate your total for you. To do this, click Calculate after some or all of the detail boxes have been populated. If you choose to not use the detail boxes, you can directly enter the total into the Total Payment Amount field.
Receipt Types: Non-Member/Non-ORP and University Health. These receipt types are available only for universities. First select the receipt type from the drop-down box, then immediately click the Change Receipt Type button.
For the Non-Member/Non-ORP receipt type, the detail box shown includes a University Non-Member field.
For the University Health receipt type, the detail box shown includes a University Health field.
- Choose the period end date. The Period End Date field is required and should be the date for the payment you are making. The Period End Date field defaults to the current month. If you want to choose another period end date, select your preference from the drop-down menu. Note: Payment will be applied toward your outstanding statement balance.
- Populate the Total Payment Amount field (or the University Non-Member or University Health field if applicable). For this required field, you may either enter the total directly or click Calculate to have the system calculate the amount for you from the amounts you entered in the detail boxes provided. If you use the detail boxes, it's recommended that you use the Calculate button. The ORS system will take whatever appears in the Total Payment Amount field, regardless of what you entered in the optional detail boxes (ORS does not see or record what is entered in optional fields).
- Read the payment terms and conditions listed in the Tell Me More section at the bottom of the screen, then click the box next to Agree to payment terms and conditions. Select Make Payment to process the payment.
- The Confirm Payment screen will display. If you agree with the information listed, click the Confirm Payment button. Note: Please review the confirmation page completely for accuracy before confirming the payment, especially for the payment type chosen.
- Once you click Confirm Payment, the Payment Status screen appears. This screen provides a confirmation number. The confirmation number will also be displayed on the Payments home page under the Payment Information section.
- The payment will now show up on the Payments home page, which will display the confirmation number, Automated Clearing House (ACH) creation date, payment date, payment amount, account name, cash receipt type, and transaction status.
- A newly made payment will have a status of Pending until ORS receives notification of the payment.
- The status will show as Paid on the second business day after the effective date of payment. The Paid status means only that ORS has received notification that the payment was initiated and has been placed into your account. Note: Paid status does not mean the payment has cleared the bank. It takes four to seven business days for the payment to clear your bank.
- If a payment does not clear for reasons such as non-sufficient funds (NSF), Stop Payment, Invalid Account, etc., ORS will receive an updated status which will be displayed in the Transaction Status column for you to view.
- You can click the Confirmation Number link for more information on any listed payment transaction in any status. If you click the Confirmation Number for a payment on the Payments home page, the Payment Details screen will appear. This allows you to see fields not contained on the Payments home page such as bank name, last four digits of account and routing number, and payment end date. This screen can also be used to cancel the payment. See section 8.03.03: How to cancel a payment.
Last updated: 10/08/2014