The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
AG Nessel Charges Ypsilanti Man for Running an Adult Foster Care Facility Without a License
April 13, 2021
LANSING – An Ypsilanti man was charged with continuing to run an Adult Foster Care (AFC) facility for years in violation of a revocation of his license and a Permanent Injunction to operate any such facility, Attorney General Dana Nessel announced today.
Jameson Onyebuchi, 66, was arraigned in the 14-B District Court in Washtenaw County on one count of Former Licensee Violations of an Adult Foster Care Facility, a five-year felony.
“Individuals who disregard licensing laws must be held accountable.” said Nessel. “Oversight and enforcement are especially important in situations where failure to abide by the law puts vulnerable people at even greater risk.”
The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) referred the Onyebuchi case to the Department of Attorney General after investigating an allegation that the owner was continuing to operate an AFC facility in violation of a Permanent Injunction issued by the 30th Circuit Court on April 5, 2017. Onyebuchi’s license was previously revoked in 2010 by the Department of Health and Human Services and he was prohibited from operating AFC facilities.
On February 20, 2020, an investigation took place at 1269 East Michigan Avenue in Ypsilanti, Michigan, where it was discovered that adults were living in an unlicensed AFC home run by Onyebuchi in violation of the injunction and revocation of his license.
The resulting criminal charges are based on the collaboration between LARA and the Department of Attorney General, Health Care Fraud Division. The Health Care Fraud Division receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $5,025,536 for Federal fiscal year 2021. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $1,675,177, is funded by the State of Michigan.
Onyebuchi is order to appear for formal arraignment and a probable cause conference on May 20 before Judge J. Cedric Simpson of the 14A District Court.
PLEASE NOTE: A criminal charge is merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.