The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
AG Nessel Charges Lansing Man with First-Degree Vulnerable Adult Abuse
January 13, 2022
LANSING - A caregiver at a Clinton County adult foster home faces more than a decade in prison for vulnerable adult abuse, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced today.
A joint investigation between the Department of Attorney General's Health Care Fraud Division and the Clinton County Sheriff's Office began in May after a developmentally disabled resident at a Clinton County adult foster care home was discovered with major injuries. The victim survived after being transported to an area hospital and admitted to the intensive care unit. The injuries included a subdural hematoma, fractured sternum, and numerous bruises and marks.
The investigation determined that the injuries were received when Andrew House-Carter, 27, of Lansing, was the lone caregiver at the home - known as the Airport Home - for the night shift spanning May 15 and 16.
House-Carter is charged with first-degree vulnerable adult abuse, a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
He was arraigned in the 65A District Court in Clinton County Wednesday afternoon and given a $100,000 cash/surety bond.
"The overwhelming majority of those who care for our most vulnerable Michiganders do a wonderful job, despite many challenges," Nessel said. "But when caregivers harm those entrusted to their care-they will be held accountable. I want to thank the Clinton County Sheriff's Office for their partnership and professionalism with this case."
A pre-exam conference is scheduled for Jan. 20 at 1 p.m. and a preliminary exam is scheduled for Jan. 27 at 2 p.m.
The Department of Attorney General's Health Care Fraud Division receives 75% of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $4,846,440 for federal fiscal year 2022. The remaining 25%, totaling $1,615,478, is funded by the State of Michigan.
Please note: A criminal charge is merely an allegation, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. The Department does not provide booking photos.