The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Decatur Woman Arraigned on Charge of Embezzlement from a Vulnerable Adult
July 31, 2023
LANSING – Last week, Laurie Laskovy, 61, of Decatur, was arraigned in the 8th District Court in Kalamazoo County before Judge Becket Jones on one count of Embezzlement from a Vulnerable Adult - $100,000 or more, announced Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel. The charge is a felony that carries a maximum punishment of 20 years in prison and a fine of $50,000 or triple the value of the amount embezzled—whichever is greater.
Beginning in 2012, Laskovy had served as co-guardian and sole conservator for a family member, who began residing in a residential care facility in 2014. In this court-appointed position, Laskovy held complete control of her ward’s finances, including a bank account, until her removal from the role of co-guardian and conservator in 2022. It is alleged Laskovy began stealing funds in 2017, using the victim’s bank account to obtain cash and pay personal bills, totaling over $100,000.
"Integrity in court-appointed guardians and conservators is paramount to safeguarding the assets and well-being of our most vulnerable residents," said Nessel. “My department will hold accountable those who betray the trust of the court and vulnerable adults in our state.”
Laskovy was arraigned on Friday, July 28th, and was given a $20,000 personal recognizance bond. She is due in court for a pre-exam conference on August 10th and a preliminary exam on August 17th before Judge Tiffany Ankley.
The Attorney General’s Health Care Fraud Division (HCFD) handled this case for the Department. The HCFD is the federally certified Medicaid Fraud Control Unit for Michigan, and it receives 75% of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $5,196,188 for the fiscal year 2023. The remaining 25% percent, totaling $1,732,061, is funded by the State of Michigan.
Please note: A criminal charge is merely an allegation, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. The Department does not provide booking photos.