Skip to main content

Montague Caregiver Charged with Medicaid Fraud

LANSING – Today, Julia Bland, 28, of Montague, was arraigned in 54-B District Court in Ingham County on one count of Medicaid Fraud-False Claim, a 4-year felony, announced Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel. 

Bland provided in-home services to a Medicaid beneficiary and allegedly submitted false claims for services that she supposedly provided to the beneficiary between February 26, 2023, and July 13, 2023. These claims were ultimately paid by the Medicaid program through a financial management company called GT Independence. 

During the investigation, it was discovered that a smartphone app was used to report the dates and hours Bland provided services for the beneficiary. The app also captured the approximate GPS location when services were being logged. The app’s location data showed that there were instances when Bland allegedly submitted claims for services when she was not in the area of the beneficiary’s home, as reflected in timesheets filed with GT Independence.   

"Providing Medicaid-funded in-home care is critical to keeping vulnerable people in their own homes as long as possible," said Nessel. “Caregivers who use the program to commit fraud will be held accountable.” 

Bland was arraigned before Judge Molly Hennessey Greenwalt of the 54-B District Court in Ingham County. Bland was given a $50,000 bond and is due next in court for a probable cause conference on May 31st at 8:30 a.m. 

The Attorney General’s Health Care Fraud Division (HCFD) handled this case for the Department. The HCFD is the federally certified Medicaid Fraud Control Unit for Michigan, and it receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $5,541,992 for the fiscal year 2024. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $1,847,326 is funded by the State of Michigan. 


Please note: For all criminal proceedings, a criminal charge is merely an allegation. The defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. The Department does not provide booking photos.

Media Contact: