Skip to main content

HUD VASH (Veterans Administration Supportive Housing) Vouchers

The HUD VASH program combines HUD Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) at its medical centers and in the community. Ongoing VA case management, health, and other supportive services will be made available to homeless veterans at various VA Medical Center (VAMC) supportive services sites across the nation.

HUD VASH vouchers follow the regulations (24 CFR 982) of the HCV rental assistance program. In the HCV program, the Public Housing Authority (PHA) provides monthly rental assistance so that eligible families can afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing. HUD provides the PHA with the necessary funding for the program. The VAMC will refer HUD VASH eligible families to the PHA for the issuance of vouchers.

HUD VASH eligible families are homeless veterans. Veterans participating in the HUD VASH program are required to participate in VA Case Management.

Under the HCV tenant-based program, families select and rent units that meet program housing-quality standards. If the PHA approves a family's unit and tenancy, the PHA contracts with the owner to make rent subsidy payments (housing assistance payments) directly to the owner on behalf of the family on a monthly basis. The family enters into a lease with the owner and pays its share of the rent to the owner in accordance with the lease. The assisted family will pay no more than 40 percent of their income towards rent. The housing assistance payment (HAP) contract between the PHA and the owner covers only a single unit and a specific assisted family. If the family moves out of the leased unit, the HAP contract with the owner terminates. The family may generally move to another unit with continued assistance so long as the family is complying with program requirements.

MSHDA and other PHA's in Michigan are administering HUD VASH at various VAMC locations within the state. Homeless veterans that may be eligible for the program should contact their local VA case manager or other VA contact for more information.

Note: You CANNOT apply for MSHDA VASH vouchers online.

Additional information is located at the following HUD web page:

VA Medical Centers Assigned to MSHDA


John D. Dingall VA Medical Center
4646 John R Street
Detroit, MI 48201


Aleda E. Lutz VA Medical Center
1500 Weiss Street
Saginaw, MI 48602


Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center
325 East H Street
Iron Mountain, MI 49801