The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Attorney General Charges Nurse for Falsifying Patient Records
January 25, 2023
LANSING – A licensed practical nurse working at Medilodge of Gaylord has been charged with five counts of Intentionally Placing False Information in a Medical Record, a five-year felony, Attorney General Dana Nessel announced today.
Jennifer Porter, 49, of Vanderbilt, was arraigned in 87A District Court in Otsego County today after an investigation by the Health Care Fraud Division (HCFD) in the Department of Attorney General.
The Attorney General alleges that during Porter’s employment as a Licensed Practical Nurse at Medilodge of Gaylord, a skilled nursing facility, she intentionally altered medication administration records to hide the fact that certain doses of medication were not accounted for.
“The overwhelming majority of those who provide long-term care in Michigan do so with integrity and respect for their important role,” said Nessel. “But when there is a serious breach in the responsibility entrusted to them, there are consequences.”
In August of 2022, the facility contacted the Gaylord Police Department regarding their observations and findings regarding Porter’s conduct. The Department of Attorney General learned of this during a Sentinel Project visit to the facility. Nessel’s office followed up with the Gaylord Police Department and the case was referred to the Attorney General for further investigation.
The Sentinel Project is an initiative created by the Attorney General’s Health Care Fraud Division to investigate complaints of resident neglect and abuse in nursing homes. The project’s approach involves sending Attorney General investigators and other trained staff to a facility where suspected abuse or neglect may have occurred to interview witnesses, gather relevant evidence, and speak with residents about possible abuse or neglect.
“I would like to thank the Gaylord Police Department and Medilodge of Gaylord for their assistance with this case,” added Nessel.
Porter was arraigned on January 25th before the Honorable Michael Cooper and was released on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond. She is next due in court for a Probable Cause Conference on February 1st at 9:00 a.m.”
The HCFD handled this case for the Department. The HCFD is the federally certified Medicaid Fraud Control Unit for Michigan. It receives 75% of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $5,196,188 for the fiscal year 2023. The remaining 25% percent, totaling $1,732,061, is funded by the State of Michigan.
Please note: A criminal charge is merely an allegation, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. The Department does not provide booking photos.