Skip to main content

Region 9 State Partners Meeting FAQs

Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) FAQs

For additional questions:

Raymond Govus,, 517-897-1646

MSHDA Housing and Community Development Fund (HCDF) FAQs

Q: What programs support access to childcare, so people can go to work?

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services provides childcare support to low-income families. These benefits can be found at Child Care Assistance ( The Good Housing = Good Health program and the Shelter Diversion Program provide supportive services to link to childcare resources.


Q: Why doesn’t local Public Housing Authorities have access to Key-To-Own funds?

The MSHDA Housing Choice Voucher Key-To-Own program is administered by MSHDA through funding provided by HUD. MSHDA submits requests of funding to continue and grow the MSHDA Key-To-Own program. If you are receiving a MSHDA Housing Choice Voucher and you are interested in homeownership, program information can be found at Key to Own Homeownership Program (


Q: Can money be funded directly to counties to address local needs/projects?

The HCDF funding will go directly to 10 programs listed in the HCDF Allocation Plan.


Q: What steps are being taken to reach underserved communities with this programming?

HCDF has published minimal caps on regional investments throughout the state, ensuring funding is present in every Prosperity Region within the State of Michigan. Additionally, HCDF programs are required to carry out equity planning ensuring populations most impacted receive equitable access to HCDF services and resources.

The marketing and operations of the HCDF programs will be accessible based on Section 504 of the American Disabilities Act and provide translation services for limited English-speaking populations.


Q: Can you provide a list of properties requiring rehabilitation?

MSHDA does not manage a list of properties requiring rehabilitation. Interest in small scale accessible rehab programs can be directed to the HCDF Small Scale Housing Development Program. Another resource is the MSHDA Missing Middle program.


Q: What assistance will be provided to communities to promote programs, such as media toolkits for nonprofits?

HCDF programs will affirmatively market funding opportunities and services. Each program administrator will lead communication efforts that include GovDelivery email announcements, Notice of Funding Announcements, program guidelines and webinars. The HCDF website will provide information and weblinks to each HCDF program.


Q: What specific populations are you addressing? Is this about poverty or overall lack of housing?

Please see the HCDF Allocation Plan for the populations that will be served with this funding.

MSHDA HCDF Program Overview FAQ's


For additional questions:

Statewide Housing Plan
Tiffany King,, 517-241-6573

MSHDA Loan Products
Tonya Coon,, 517-335-5951

Tonya Joy,, 517-335-4337

Michigan Land Bank FAQs

Q: Can I bid on this property?

No. We have an application process, not a bidding process. However, you are welcome to submit an offer for consideration on the application.


Q: Does the State Land Bank have a list of properties that are available?

Yes. You can access available properties through our Property Search page. From there you can search by County, City or Township, Address, Keyword, or Parcel number.


Q: I found a property that I am interested in purchasing. What is the next step?

The next step is to submit an application with the required documentation. Applications are available on our Property Search website or you can call 517-335-8212 to have one mailed to you.


Q: What Is the difference between an Adjacent Lot Application and a Property Conveyance Application?

The Adjacent Lot Applications are for applicants who own the residential property adjacent to the property that they are interested in purchasing. It must share at least a 75% common boundary line and not be considered buildable by the city or local zoning/building codes. The Property Conveyance Application is for all other applicants.


Q: What is the State Land Bank Authority?

We are a state agency that works to create a positive economic impact in Michigan communities by returning land to productive use. We work in a coordinated manner to foster the development of property to promote and support land bank operations at the county and local levels.


For additional questions:

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) FAQs

Q: Where can I find information on MDARD grant programs?

Go to MDARD - Grants & Funding Opportunities (


Q: Who can apply for MDARD grants?

Grant eligibility requirements vary with each grant. Information on eligibility is found at MDARD - Grants & Funding Opportunities (


Q: If I am interested in applying for an MDARD grant program, when should I reach out to get more information and begin the process?

Go to MDARD - Grants & Funding Opportunities ( to view the various grant programs and the associated MDARD contact to discuss details.


Q: How do I stay up to date on MDARD grant period openings and awardees?

To stay informed about grant application openings, awardees, etc., please sign up for the MDARD grants listserv. The listserv signup can be found at MDARD - Grants & Funding Opportunities (


Q: If I need regulatory assistance, how can I get in touch with the appropriate division within MDARD?

Please contact MDARD Customer Service at:

Main Phone Number: 800-292-3939


For additional questions:

Terri Barker,, 517-331-5272

Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) FAQs

Q: Where can I find a list of the funding programs EGLE offers?

You can view a listing of EGLE’s current funding programs at the following link:


Q: Who can apply for EGLE incentives?

Primarily, but not exclusively, the grant applicant must be a local unit of government (LUG). Eligible applicants for each program are listed on each program’s respective website.


Q: When are applications due?

Application deadlines vary by incentive program. All funding program schedules are available on their respective websites.


Q: How far in advance should I contact someone about potential funding opportunities for a project?

It is recommended that conversations start with EGLE staff as early in the process as possible.


Q: How do I contact EGLE staff with questions?

Businesses, local units of government, and the public have access to direct one-on-one assistance or referral to EGLE's network of technical staff by calling 800-662-9278 from 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. You also can send an e-mail to


Q: How can I stay up to date on what EGLE is working on?

You can subscribe to EGLE newsletters and press releases at the following link:


For additional questions:

Follow us:

Brownfield Coordinators

Sarah Venner, 586-295-2225,
Holden Branch, 517-331-0993,

Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) FAQs

Q: Where can I see all of the grant programs MDOT has?


Q: Who can apply for MDOT grants?

Primarily, but not exclusively, the grant applicant must be an Act 51 Agency. Eligible applicants for each program are listed on each program’s respective website.


Q: When are applications due?

Application deadlines vary by grant program. While some programs will issue an annual Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO), some programs have application schedules with multiple calls annually. All grant program schedules are available on their respective websites.


Q: How far in advance should I get in touch with someone about funding?

In general, it’s best practice to seek advice and input early in the concept stage. This will help determine eligibility for the program you’re interested in and help save time and money with early guidance of grant parameters.


Q: How can I stay up to date on road projects and MDOT process updates?

You can subscribe to MDOT newsletters at the link below and select from a multitude of preferences on the type of information and regions you’re interested in.

Michigan DOT (


For additional questions:

See for the full list of MDOT grant programs.

Bay* & Superior Regions: Lindsay Ross, 517-242-3192,
Grand & North Regions: Julie Thomas, 517-256-6524,
Southwest & University* Regions: Kelly Hamilton, 517-930-7149,
Metro* Region: Caitlin Yost, 517-242-2395, 

* For the TAP grant program only. Caitlin Yost covers all seven SEMCOG counties.