The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Home Help Provider Charged with Medicaid Fraud
May 04, 2021
LANSING - Attorney General Dana Nessel announced today that she has charged Khadisha L. Saunders-Davenport, 43, with one count of Medicaid Fraud-False Claim.
The charge carries a maximum penalty of four years in prison and/or a $50,000 fine.
Saunders-Davenport is the owner of Synergy Home Services, a company enrolled with the State of Michigan as a home help provider. While employing caregivers, Saunders-Davenport also personally provided care for certain Medicaid beneficiaries.
It is alleged Saunders-Davenport submitted false claims to Medicaid for home help care never actually provided and also during periods when beneficiaries were hospitalized and not receiving home help services at all.
Saunders-Davenport allegedly submitted false claims to the State during 2018 and 2019 resulting in approximately $17,000 in improper Medicaid payments.
"Home help services are a valuable part of the care needed by many Medicaid beneficiaries," said Nessel. "Those who think no one is watching this program for fraud and try to game the system will be held accountable."
Saunders-Davenport was arraigned before Judge Andrea Larkin in the 54B District Court in East Lansing. She was given a $20,000 personal recognizance bond and her next court date is May 14 at 8:30 a.m. for a pre-exam conference.
The Michigan Department of Attorney General, Health Care Fraud Division, receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $5,025,536 for Federal fiscal year 2021. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $1,675.177, is funded by the State of Michigan.
Please note: A criminal charge is merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty. The Attorney General's office does not provide photos of defendants.