Skip to main content

Member Statement

Access your Member Statement in miAccount to review your wage, service credit (earned, pending, and purchased), interest, and contribution details.

Note: If you are considered deferred, or a member of the Deferred Retirement Option Plan, a Member Statement will not appear in miAccount. Contact our office to request a Statement of Service Credit.

To learn more about your retirement plan, explore the About Your Plan and Earning and Purchasing Service Credit sections.

Review the frequently asked questions below or use this chart to direct your questions.

Who to Contact

Question(s) or Correction(s)
Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS)
  • Service credit totals.
  • Contributions and interest totals.
  • Date of birth change.
MI-HR Service Center
  • Name change or address change.
  • Date of birth change.
  • Wage information.

Reprinting Your Member Statement
Wage and Contribution Questions
Service Credit Questions

Reprinting Your Member Statement

1. Can I get a copy of statements from previous years?

No. We cannot provide you with statements from previous years. However, you can view and print a breakdown of your service when you log in to miAccount and click the service credit tab.

Back to Top

Wage & Contribution Information

1. I earned more than what is reported on my Member Statement. Why is there a difference?

You may also have compensation that is not reportable for retirement purposes such as bonus payments or expense payments. These payments aren't included when we calculate your final average compensation or figure the actuarial cost of a service credit purchase. Compensation that is reportable for retirement purposes includes wages, annual leave, sick leave, merit pay, longevity, and overtime pay. If you have questions about what was reported, please contact your employer.

Back to Top

Service Credit Information

1. I worked over 2,080 hours. Why wasn't I credited for a full year of service?

All wages and hours that may be used toward retirement are reported to ORS. However, there are limits to the amount of service we can credit in a period. You may have worked your hours faster than the law allows us to credit service. If you worked your 2,080 hours in fewer than 26 pay periods, you will not receive a full year of service credit. We cannot credit more than 80 hours per pay period or 2,080 hours a year.

Back to Top

2. How is retirement service credited to my account?

All service rendered as a state police officer is counted for retirement service credit. You will not receive additional service credit for overtime. Also, you cannot receive more than 1 year of service credit for any year that you work.

Service credit can only be granted for actual hours worked. If you work less than full time or as an intermittent employee, you will receive credit for the hours you have worked, not to exceed 80 hours per pay period. For example, if you have worked on a 50% basis for 20 years, your service credit will equal 10 years.

Go to Earning and Purchasing Service Credit for more information.

Back to Top

3. Why isn't my continuous hours total the same as the service credit reflected on my Member Statement?
If your continuous hours total in MIHR is not the same as the service credit reflected in your Member Statement, it is likely due to provisions of the retirement statute that directs how service credit for the purpose of retirement can be credited (example: military service, refunds, leaves of absence, or grievance settlements). ORS relies on data from your human resources office and a retirement system database to ensure compliance with the statute when determining your retirement service credit.

In rare cases, an employee's varying continuous hours and retirement service credit totals may be related to the inadvertent counting of long-term disability time by a human resources office or discrepancies in part time or intermittent service.

Back to Top

4. Will the time I served in the military be applied toward my retirement credit?

Your time in the military may count toward your retirement credit. The retirement statute specifically directs how the military service must be credited for retirement purposes. Because of this you must submit a Military Discharge paper, DD214, directly to ORS to ensure your time is counted in your retirement credit. Even if your continuous hours total on account with your human resources office reflects your military time, you still have to submit a DD214 form to ORS.

If your military time occurred during your state service, you may be entitled to retirement service credit at no cost. If your military time did not interrupt your state service, you may purchase military service credit. For additional information regarding purchasing military service, please refer to the military service rules.

Back to Top

5. Will I receive retirement service credit for a period of time that I took a leave of absence and/or have been on workers' compensation?

Some leaves of absence are creditable for retirement purposes, while others are not. If you received workers' compensation or were paid by the state during your leave of absence, you should have continued to accumulate retirement service credit. However, if you did not receive workers' compensation or payment from the state, you did not earn retirement credit for that period of time.

Please contact ORS to see whether retirement service credit can be given for your particular type of leave.

Back to Top

6. Are past grievance settlements included in my retirement service credit?

Yes. If you received a grievance settlement involving retroactive crediting of retirement service, then you should have received retirement credit. Make sure ORS has received documentation of the settlement. If you are unsure if the settlement has been credited, please contact ORS.

Back to Top