Skip to main content

Ways to Purchase Service Credit


Sending the Michigan Office of Retirement Services your plan-to-plan transfer certification form only alerts us of your intent. It is your responsibility to see that the funds are sent by your plan administrator.

You can buy service credit in two ways:

Direct Payment

Send a check or money order payable to State of Michigan. Include your name and member ID on the remittance. Send it with a copy of your member billing statement to:

Michigan Office of Retirement Services
Finance Division
PO Box 30673
Lansing, MI 48909-8173

Plan-to-Plan Transfer

You may transfer pretax monies to purchase service credit from the following qualified plans: 401(a), 401(k), 403(b), 457, as well as conduit individual retirement accounts (IRAs) from any of these sources. The 401(k) and 457 Plans administered by Voya Financial are qualified plans. Money from a traditional IRA cannot be transferred.

To purchase service credit by transferring funds from a qualified plan, use the Qualified Plan-to-Plan Transfer Certification (R0158X) form. This form includes detailed instructions on how to initiate a plan-to-plan transfer.

Allow ample time for your plan administrator to transfer the funds. Some financial institutions take several weeks, or even months. This can result in an additional cost to you if the payment arrives after the due date. Remember that we cannot accept any payment for service credit after you terminate your state police employment.