Skip to main content



1. What are ORS office hours?

You can call us between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information on how to reach us, click on Contact Us on the top navigation bar.

2. I work as a dispatcher at a State Police post. Do I have benefits?

Only enlisted officers are members of the State Police Retirement System. If you are a state of Michigan employee, visit our website for state employees.

3. When can I retire?

You are entitled to a pension at any age with 25 years of service. Get more information on retirement benefits by clicking Available Benefits on the left navigation bar.

4. How much will I get?

If you qualify for a full retirement, the pension formula multiplies your final average salary by 60 percent. Click on Retirement at a Glance under About Your Plan on our website to learn more about your pension calculation.

5. What does "buying time" mean?

You may be able to purchase service credit that would allow you to retire earlier. To decide if buying time is beneficial to you, click on Service Credit on the left navigation bar.

6. I'm getting divorced. What do I need to do?

If you divorce while you are an active or deferred member, the court may order that a portion of your pension be paid to an alternate payee such as your former spouse or dependent child. The order (known as an eligible domestic relations order, or EDRO) must be on file with ORS before your retirement effective date. ORS has developed an online fillable EDRO form to allow members to create accurate and complete EDROs that can be administered under the retirement statutes. It is the preferred document to file with ORS. Background information and instructions are provided separately in Eligible Domestic Relations Orders: Background and Instructions (R0911X).

The EDRO Act doesn't apply to a divorce after retirement. Click here if you're already receiving your pension when you divorce.

7. Do I have other opportunities to save for my retirement?

Yes. The State of Michigan sponsors a deferred compensation plan. You can have tax-deferred payroll deductions go into a 401(k) or 457 plan with Voya Financial®.


8. What does my survivor need to do when I die?

First, and most important, your survivor should contact ORS right away. ORS will then ask for some very specific information as well as a certified copy of the death certificate. We will then review your records to determine what, if anything, is payable. What happens next will depend on your member status at the time of your death.

If you die while an active member.
If you die while participating in the DROP.
If you die as a deferred member.
If you die after you retire.

9. What is DROP?

The Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP) allows you to extend your employment and defer your pension until a later date. Click here for more information on the DROP program.

10. When will my pension payment arrive?

Pension payments are delivered on the 25th of each month. To learn more, go to What to Expect After You Apply.