Skip to main content

Life Events in Retirement

Below are the most common situations that would require contact with the Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) after you retire. Please use it as a general guide only. Because we cannot list every possible event that should be reported, it's best to contact ORS if you're not sure.

Many of the transactions mentioned below, including contacting a knowledgeable ORS representative, can be completed using miAccount.

Address Change

Be sure we have your current mailing address and email address at all times so you receive your statements and other important notices. Address changes can be made online through miAccount.

We will notify your insurance carriers of your address change; however, it may take up to 30 days before the insurance carrier can take action. If you are insured by an HMO, ask to speak with an ORS insurance representative because an address change could affect your coverage.

See Direct Deposit Change if you are changing your direct deposit account.

Back to top.



Ordinarily, the birth or adoption of a child after you retire will not affect your pension. However, if you wish to enroll your child in your insurance plans, you can do so using miAccount.

A birth or adoption could mean that you need to change your life insurance beneficiary using the Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation (R0782GHB) form. And don't forget to notify Voya Financial if you have a deferred compensation account and want to change your beneficiary.

Back to top.



Death of the retiree. Upon your death, your personal representative (family member, executor) should contact ORS as quickly as possible. We will need your Social Security number and a certified copy of the death certificate.

Death of survivor pension beneficiary. If any person receiving a survivor pension dies, ORS should be contacted immediately. We will need the Social Security number of the state police retiree as well as that of the beneficiary who was receiving benefits, along with a photocopy of the death certificate.

Death of insurance dependent. If anyone enrolled as a dependent in your health, dental, or vision insurance plan dies, report the death immediately using the Beneficiaries and Dependents section in miAccount. You must also submit a photocopy of the death certificate.

Back to top.


Direct Deposit Change 

The quickest way to change your direct deposit is in miAccount.

Ordinarily, if we receive your request by the first day of the month, your next payment will be deposited to your new account. Do not close your old account until your pension payment has been successfully deposited in your new account.

Back to top.



If you divorce after retirement and if - and only if - your pension is to be divided, you must submit a court order called a Domestic Relations Order (DRO). To assist you and your attorney, ORS provides instructions and downloadable, fillable DRO forms. These are the preferred DRO documents to file with ORS. They are the fastest, most efficient way to complete your filing. Complete the form online, save it, print it, then take the printed copy to the court for the judge's signature.

If your former spouse is enrolled in your health, dental, vision, or life insurance plan, their eligibility will cease. Report the divorce immediately using an Insurance Enrollment/Change Request (R0452H) form or miAccount. You must also send ORS a copy of the divorce decree.

We cannot adjust your insurance premiums until you report the divorce and we receive all required documentation. We cannot retroactively refund excess insurance premiums.

A divorce could mean you need to change your address or name using miAccount, or change your life insurance beneficiary using the Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation (R0782GHB) form. Don't overlook your deferred compensation beneficiary with Voya.

Back to top.



If you go to work after you retire, your earnings usually won't affect your pension unless you are receiving a disability pension and are required to return to work because you were found to no longer be disabled. If you fail to return to employment following the order, you'll forfeit all rights to a retirement benefit unless you're otherwise eligible to retire. For more information, see Duty Disability or Nonduty Disability.  

Back to top.



Marriage of retiree. If you marry after your pension begins, there is no need to report the marriage because your payments will not be affected.

However, if you wish to enroll your new spouse in your insurances, you can do so using miAccount or by completing an Insurance Enrollment/Change Request (R0452H) form. If you submit the form and a copy of your marriage certificate to ORS within 30 days, coverage can begin the first of the month following the date of marriage, or potentially a month later if you or your spouse is on Medicare.

A marriage could mean that you need to change your address or name using miAccount, or change your life insurance beneficiary using the Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation (R0782GHB) form. And don't overlook your deferred compensation beneficiary with Voya.

Marriage of survivor pension beneficiary. If you are receiving a survivor pension on the account of a deceased state police employee, you don't need to report your marriage because your pension will continue as usual, and insurance benefits are not available to your new spouse.

Marriage of insurance dependent. Married children are not eligible for insurance coverage. If anyone enrolled on your contract as an insurance dependent marries, you must notify ORS immediately. Use miAccount or the Insurance Enrollment/Change Request (R0452H) form.

Back to top.



If you, your spouse, or any of your covered dependents become eligible for Medicare, be sure to enter the Medicare information online through miAccount or send us a completed Insurance Enrollment/Change Request (R0452H) form to enroll.

When your Medicare coverage begins you will likely see a decrease in the amount of your health plan premiums. For more information, go to the Health, Dental, Vision section.

Back to top.


Missing Payment

Notify ORS after three days if your regular direct deposit payment has not been deposited to your account.

Back to top.


Power of Attorney

If you designate a power of attorney, conservatorship, or guardianship, have your personal representative contact ORS right away. We will need a notarized copy of the legal documentation before your representative can act on your behalf. Send a healthcare power of attorney to ORS and your insurance carriers.

Back to top.



You can change your federal or Michigan tax withholding rate at any time in miAccount.

Each January, ORS will send you a federal Form 1099-R, so you can file your income tax returns. This statement shows how much was paid to you during the year in pension benefits, as well as how much was withheld in taxes. Log in to miAccount anytime after Jan. 1 to view and print your Form 1099-R.

Back to top.