Skip to main content

How to Apply

Apply for retirement

miAccount is a fast and easy way to apply for retirement - five simple steps and you're done.

Before you apply:

You can also use the Retirement or DROP Application (R0732H) form to apply; however, the preferred method is to apply in miAccount. We recommend that you submit your retirement application and mail photocopies of your proofs to the Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) at least three months before your retirement effective date. Since we cannot pay retroactively, you could end up losing benefits if you apply after the month you terminate employment.

What you will need

ORS cannot process your retirement until you submit a complete, error-free application. Make sure all forms requiring notarization are signed in the presence of a notary public. You must sign the Retirement Checklist page and return it to ORS along with all required documents.

You'll need to also provide photocopies of the following:

(do not mail in original documents)

When Required/Special Notes

Proof of marriage To name your spouse as pension beneficiary and/or enroll them in your insurances, you must provide a copy of your government-issued marriage certificate or matching addresses on valid driver’s licenses or state ID and your most recent 1040 tax form showing filing married.
Proof of age See Proving Your Age for the list of proofs we can accept. If you elect a survivor option, you will also need to furnish proof of your beneficiary's age.
Proof of dependent's insurance eligibility
If you enroll dependents under your insurance plan, you must provide photocopies of government-issued birth certificates as proof of age and relationship; court orders to prove legal guardianship; or a sworn statement with the date of placement or a court order verifying placement is required to prove legal adoption during adoption proceedings.

If your dependent is an unmarried disabled child, and is covered by your State of Michigan insurance while you’re an active employee, we'll also need:
  • A current letter from the attending physician stating the child is totally and permanently disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment.
  • Any medical records or reports that substantiate the disability and confirm the child became disabled before age 26.
  • The first page of your 1040 tax form listing your child as a dependent.
Insurance information For anyone covered under another plan, including Medicare, who is enrolling in health insurances, include that plan's information as requested on the retirement application.

Note: Write your name and member ID on all documents and proofs. Do not mail in original documents; they will not be returned.