Skip to main content

How to Apply

miAccount is a fast and easy way to apply for retirement- five simple steps and you're done!


Before you apply:

You can also use an Application for Retirement or DROP (R0732H) to apply, however the preferred method is to apply with miAccount. We recommend that you submit your retirement application and mail photocopies of your proofs to ORS at least three months before your retirement effective date. Since we cannot pay retroactively, you could end up losing benefits if you apply after the month you terminate employment. 

What you will need

ORS cannot process your retirement until you submit a complete, error free application. Make sure all forms requiring notarization are signed in the presence of a notary public. You must also sign the Retirement Checklist page and return it to ORS along with all required documents.

You'll need to also provide photocopies of the following:

(do not mail in original documents)
When Required / Special Notes
Proof of marriage. To name your spouse as pension beneficiary and/or enroll him/her in your insurances, you must provide a copy of your government issued marriage certificate or matching addresses on valid driver’s licenses or state ID and your most recent 1040 tax form showing filing married.
Proof of age. See proving your age for the list of proofs we can accept. If you elect a survivor option, you will also need to furnish proof of your beneficiary's age.
Proof of dependent's insurance eligibility. If you enroll dependents under your insurance plan, you must provide photocopies of government issued birth certificates as proof of age and relationship; court orders to prove legal guardianship; and to prove legal adoption during adoption proceedings, a sworn statement with the date of placement or a court order verifying placement is required. For any child age 19 or older, we will also need tax returns as proof of dependency or a letter from your tax preparer (on letterhead) declaring your dependent is eligible but files their own taxes and school records to prove the child is enrolled at least half time in an accredited educational institution.

If your dependent is a disabled child age 19 or older, we'll also need a current letter from the attending physician stating the child is totally and permanently disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment, along with any medical records or reports that substantiate the disability and confirm the child became disabled before age 19. In addition, every year you may be asked to furnish proof of disability and proof of dependency.
Insurance Information. For anyone covered under another plan, including Medicare, who is enrolling in health insurances, include that plan's information as requested on the retirement application.

Note: Write your name and Member ID on all documents and proofs. Do not mail in original documents, as they will not be returned.