Skip to main content

Your Member Statement

Access your Member Statement in miAccount to review your wage, service credit (earned, pending, and purchased), interest, and contribution details.

Note: If you are considered an inactive or Defined Contribution Plan member a Member Statement will not appear in miAccount. Contact our office to request a Statement of Service Credit.

To learn more about your retirement plan, explore the plan overview and service credit sections.

Review the frequently asked questions below or use this chart to direct your questions.

Who to Contact Question(s) or Correction(s)
Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS)
MI-HR Service Center

If you work for the attorney general, secretary of state, judicial branch, or legislative branch, contact your human resources office.

  • Name and address changes.
  • Date of birth change.
  • Wage information.
  • Tax-deferred payment agreement information.

Department or agency human resources office
  • Wage information.



Reprinting your Member Statement


Can I get a copy of statements from previous years?

No. We cannot provide you with statements from previous years. However, you can view and print a breakdown of your service when you log in to miAccount and click Your Service on the left.

Back to top.


Your Member Statement's Wage & Contribution Information


I earned more than what is reported on my Member Statement. Why is there a difference?

You may have earned compensation that is not reportable for retirement purposes. These earnings would not be credited in the calculation of your final average compensation (FAC) or used to calculate the cost of service credit. For example, wages, annual leave, sick leave, merit pay, longevity, and overtime pay are examples of the types of income reported to ORS. However, bonus payments and expense payments are examples of the types of income not reported to us. If you have questions about what was reported, please contact your human resources office.

Back to top.


Your Member Statement's Service Credit and TDP Information

1. How is service credited toward my retirement?

All service rendered as a state employee is counted for retirement service. You will not receive additional service for overtime. Also, you cannot receive more than 1 year of service (YOS) for any year that you work.

Service can only be granted for actual hours worked. If you work less than full time as a permanent intermittent employee, you will receive credit for the hours you have worked, not to exceed 80 hours per pay period. For example, if you have worked on a 50% basis for 20 years, your service will equal 10 years.

For more information, go to Service Credit - Earning and Purchasing.

Back to top.


I worked over 2,080 hours. Why wasn't I credited for a full YOS?

All wages and hours that may be used toward retirement are reported to ORS. However, there are limits to the amount of service we can credit in a period. You may have worked your hours faster than the law allows us to credit service. If you worked your 2,080 hours in fewer than 26 pay periods, you would not receive a full YOS. We cannot credit more than 80 hours per pay period or 2,080 hours a year.

Back to top.

3. Does the banked leave time and mandatory furlough days from 2003-2005 affect my earned service?

No. Banked leave time and furlough hours were credited as if you had worked and been paid when the hours were scheduled.

Back to top.

4. I am currently repaying a refund of contributions so I can reinstate service. Is the time I'm buying reflected anywhere on this statement?

The service that you are repaying is not reflected in your statement because no service credit is granted until the refund is repaid in full.

However, if you are repaying your refund of contributions with a tax-deferred payment (TDP) agreement, any activity on your agreement (including the service that will be credited once the repayment is paid in full) is reflected.

Back to top.

5. The amount I've paid on my TDP agreement doesn't seem to match what's listed. How can I verify this?

To verify the amount you have paid on a TDP agreement, contact ORS. If you have established an agreement and deductions have not started, please contact the MI-HR Service Center.

If you participate in the TDP program to purchase service credit, your service credit will be included after ORS receives the final payment.

Back to top.

6. Why was interest charged to my TDP agreement?
If your TDP agreement was established on or after Oct. 1, 2004, and has been in effect for one full year, you were charged 8% interest on the balance as of Oct. 1. Interest will continue to be assessed annually at this time until your agreement is paid in full.

Back to top.

7. Why isn't my continuous hours total the same as the service reflected on my Member Statement?

If your continuous hours total in MIHR is not the same as the service reflected in your Member Statement, it is likely due to provisions of the retirement statute that directs how service for the purpose of retirement can be credited (example: military service, refunds, leaves of absence, or grievance settlements). ORS relies on data from your human resources office and a retirement system database to ensure compliance with the statute when determining your retirement service.

In rare cases, an employee's varying continuous hours and retirement service totals may be related to the inadvertent counting of long-term disability time by a human resources office, or discrepancies in part-time or intermittent service.

Back to top.

8. Will the time I served in the military be applied toward my retirement YOS?

Your time in the military may count toward your retirement service. The retirement statute specifically directs how the military service must be credited for retirement purposes. Because of this you must submit your military discharge (DD214), directly to ORS to ensure your time is counted in your retirement service. Even if your continuous hours total on account with your human resources office reflects your military time, you still have to submit a DD214 form to ORS.

If your military time occurred during your state service, you may be entitled to retirement service credit at no cost. If your military time did not interrupt your state service, you may purchase military service credit. For additional information regarding purchasing military service, please refer to the military service credit rules.

Back to top.

9. Will I receive retirement service credit for a period of time that I took a leave of absence and/or have been on workers' compensation?

Some leaves of absence are creditable for retirement purposes, while others are not. If you received workers' compensation or were paid by the state during your leave of absence, you should have continued to accumulate retirement service. However, if you did not receive workers' compensation or payment from the state, you did not earn retirement service for that period of time.

Please contact ORS to see whether retirement service credit can be given for your particular type of leave.

Back to top.

10. Are past grievance settlements included in my retirement service?

Yes. If you received a grievance settlement involving retroactive crediting of retirement service, then you should have received retirement credit. Make sure ORS has received documentation of the settlement. If you are unsure if the settlement has been credited, please contact ORS.

Back to top.

11. As a part-time employee, how do I accumulate service credit as compared to a full-time employee?

Part-time employees (including job-share and part-time intermittent positions) earn service credit in proportion to the hours worked. Overtime hours do not increase service credit. The following table shows how full-time and part-time employees earn service credit.

Examples of How Service Credit is Earned

Type of employment Period of Time Service Credit Earned

Full time

1 month

0.0833 of a year

Full time

1 pay period - 80 hours

0.0385 of a year

Part time or job share

1 pay period - 40 hours

0.0192 of a year

Part time or job share

1 year - half time

0.5000 of a year

Back to top.