The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Any contributing member of the State Employees' Retirement System Defined Benefit (DB) Plan can purchase up to 5 years of universal buy-in (UBI) service. It is called universal because it may be purchased without being linked to any previous employment.
- This service cannot be used to satisfy vesting requirements.
- UBI credit replaces medical leave of absence, fee branch manager, and Vista/Peace Corps service credit purchase options that were eliminated from law as of Aug. 1, 1998.
- You may purchase up to 5 years of UBI service; however, this amount is offset by any previous medical leave of absence, Vista/Peace Corps, and/or fee branch manager service purchases you have made. For example, if you already purchased 2 years of medical leave of absence service, you could purchase up to a total of 3 years of universal buy-in credit.
- You cannot purchase more than 10 years total from any combination of universal buy-in, parental leave, or other governmental service.
- You must be a contributing member of the DB Plan to initiate a purchase.
You may purchase any fraction of a year increment. Your cost for each year purchased will be a percentage of your previous highest fiscal year (Oct. 1 through Sept. 30) income earned as a State of Michigan employee. That percentage, or actuarial rate, is found in the Actuarial Cost Table.
Request a member billing statement as described in How to Purchase.