Skip to main content

Court of Record



If you were employed by a court in Michigan for a minimum of five years, you may receive credit for this service.


  • If you don't have at least five years of court employment, you cannot purchase any court service credit under this provision. (However, your court service could be purchased as other governmental service.)
  • No partial credit can be granted. Any purchase or transfer must be for all your prior service with the court, or none can be credited.
  • You may use this credit to satisfy vesting requirements.


If a refund was issued, your cost is the amount of the refund withdrawn from the court, plus interest.

If you did not receive a refund you will have no cost, but any funds on deposit with the court of record must be transferred to the Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) in order to receive the credit.


In order to receive a billing for your court of record service, ask your court employer to address a letter to ORS, on the court's letterhead, with the following information:

  • Dates of employment.
  • Total employment in years and months.
  • Whether the employment was full time or part time.
  • If employment was part time, your total hours.
  • Any breaks in service.
  • Amount and date of refund of contributions, if any.
  • If a refund of contributions was not taken, a breakdown of wages earned while employed, by calendar year.
  • Whether or not all rights to a pension with this employer have been waived.
  • The amount of any funds on deposit.