What should I do if my return is completed but my preparer has no record of my direct deposit.

If the preparer's financial institution cannot locate your direct deposit after 4 weeks, you may request a tracer through the Michigan Department of Treasury. A tracer can take up to 12 weeks. We will notify you of the results by mail.

If the tracer result confirms that the funds were posted to your preparer’s account, it is a civil matter between you and your tax preparer.

You may request a direct deposit tracer by using "Check My Income Tax Information".

For privacy and security reasons you will be asked for your Social Security number, name, tax year, adjusted gross income/total household resources and filing status.

From the Check My Income Tax Info Web site:

     1.  Select the option “Ask an Account Specific Question”.
     2.  To verify your identity, log in using the filer’s Social Security number and name, then choose the option “Ask Treasury a Question".
     3.  You will be asked to enter the tax year, your adjusted gross income/total household resources and filing status.
          Follow the directions given on the next page to request a direct deposit tracer.

Include your full name, complete current mailing address and the tax year with your request.

Note: If you are unable to authenticate using your current tax year information, select the previous tax year for authentication.  When you submit your question, explain that you selected a previous tax year for authentication. Include the adjusted gross income, refund amount and tax year for which you are inquiring.