Why did I receive a letter/notice?
Read the letter/notice from start to finish. Many situations can be easily resolved without having to call our office. The letter will explain what information is necessary to send to the department and how to appeal our decision, if applicable.
Michigan Department of Treasury will send a letter/notice if:
- You have an unpaid balance
- You are due a larger or smaller refund
- We have a question about your tax return
- We need to verify your identity
- We need additional information
- We adjusted your return
- We received information from the Internal Revenue Service