Skip to main content

What should I do if the account number on my return is incorrect?

The Michigan Department of Treasury cannot add or make any changes to the account number after the return has been received.

  • Notify your financial institution of the error.
  • Your financial institution may catch the error and deposit it into your account.
  • If the deposit goes into a valid account number as indicated on your return, but it is not your account, it is a matter for you and your financial institution to resolve.
  • If your account number is incorrect and the financial institution has returned the deposit, a refund check will be mailed to you within 6 weeks after receipt of the returned direct deposit attempt.