Skip to main content

Licensing: I am operating a qualified motor vehicle but I am traveling interstate on a short-term basis. Am I required to be licensed for IFTA?

No. You have the option of purchasing temporary fuel permits through a permit agency. You may need to purchase a temporary fuel permit for each state you will travel through while operating your qualified motor vehicle. Michigan limits the purchase of fuel permits to 3 permits per USDOT # per calendar year for carriers traveling into Michigan. Carriers exceeding or who anticipate exceeding this limit need to be licensed for IFTA in their base jurisdiction. Contact numbers for individual jurisdictions can be found on the IFTA, Inc. website by clicking on the "Carrier Information" link.