Skip to main content

Licensing: Should I get an IFTA license even if I don't leave Michigan?

No. IFTA requires interstate travel. Zero mileage or Michigan only travel could result in the denial of a future IFTA license. Quarterly returns are required for all current IFTA licensees regardless of activity. Three quarters of non-interstate travel may result in cancellation or non-renewal of the account.

Through a wire service, temporary fuel permits are available 24 hours a day for unexpected interstate travel. A listing of current temporary permit agencies can be found here.