Skip to main content



Your business must be registered with the State of Michigan with a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Treasury issued TR Number.

If you don’t have one, you can easily fix that! Simply apply for a FEIN with the Internal Revenue Service.

License Types

Marihuana Retail Excise Tax (MRE) has two different license types:

Marihuana Retailer – Businesses licensed to obtain Marihuana from Marihuana establishments and sell or otherwise transfer Marihuana to Marihuana establishments and qualifying individuals.

Microbusiness - Businesses licensed to cultivate, process, package, as well as sell/transfer Marihuana to Marihuana safety compliance facilities or qualifying individuals but not other Marihuana establishments.

Note: Marihuana Retailers and Microbusinesses SHOULD NOT collect and remit the 10% excise tax until they are officially licensed by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).