Skip to main content

What To Do If You Disagree

If you believe you have received a bill for taxes due that you do not owe, send the following information to support your claim:

  • A letter explaining why the tax is not due with documents to support the reasons you outline in your letter. Be sure to include your account number (Social Security or tax identification number) on the letter.
  • A legible copy of the front and back of your canceled check or money order
  • A copy of the billing notice you received from the Michigan Department of Treasury.

Mail the above information to the address that appears on the bill.

Information about how to appeal the bill can be found on the back of the billing notice, or in the Taxpayer Rights Handbook.