Skip to main content

If the Internal Revenue Service changed my Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and/or exemptions on my federal return, am I required to file an amended Michigan return?

Yes, if a change on your federal return affects the AGI and/or exemptions reported on your Michigan return, you must file an amended Michigan return within 16 weeks of the change. Include a copy of your amended federal return with all applicable schedules and supporting documents.

Submit payment of any tax and interest due.

Examples of supporting documents include but are not limited to:

  • The Michigan Amended Return Explanation of Changes (Schedule AMD)
  • Michigan Schedules and Forms (e.g. Schedule W, Schedule 1, Form 4884, MI-1040CR)
  • Federal amended return and schedules
  • Copies of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) audit report, notice, federal transcripts or other supporting documents
  • Property tax statements/lease agreements
  • Copy of original or corrected W-2(s), 1099(s), and/or U.S. Schedule K-1(s)
  • Copy of other state return(s)