Skip to main content

What should I do if I received a bill for a deceased taxpayer?

Prior to any review on the bill, the proper documentation must be filed with the Michigan Department of Treasury. Proper documentation would be Letters of Authority from the court.

If you agree with the bill, payment can be submitted without any additional documentation. 

If there is a probate estate please provide the following information:

  • Probate case number
  • Date of death
  • Court where case was filed
  • Final date to file claim
  • Name and address of personal representative
  • If the estate is open or closed

Always include a copy of the bill with your correspondence.