Skip to main content

May I claim a homestead property tax credit if I am a college student?

College students and others whose permanent homes are not in Michigan are not considered Michigan residents.

You may qualify if all of the following apply:

  • Your permanent residence is in Michigan.
  • You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year.
  • You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied.
  • 100% of your total household resources is not received from Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
  • You own your home and your taxable value does not exceed $136,600.
  • Your total household resources do not exceed $60,600. Part-year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if the credit reduction applies.

View the MI-1040CR instruction booklet to determine if you qualify.