Skip to main content

What should I do if my financial institution has no record of my refund being deposited?

Verify that all account and routing numbers listed on your return are correct. The Michigan Department of Treasury cannot add or make any changes to the direct deposit information after the return has been received.

You may request that your financial institution trace the deposit if you have the exact dollar amount and date of the deposit. If your financial institution cannot locate your refund after 4 weeks, you may request a direct deposit tracer through the Michigan Department of Treasury.  A tracer can take up to 24 weeks. We will notify you of the results by mail. If you have moved since the filing of your return, you should update your address when requesting a direct deposit tracer.

You may request a direct deposit tracer using self-service.

Include your full name, complete current mailing address and the tax year with your request.

Click on the above link and follow these steps:

  1. Select the "Inquiries" option
  2. Then select "Inquire about My Refund"
  3. You will be asked to enter the following information for security reasons:
    • Primary filer's Social Security number
    • Primary filer's last name
    • Tax year
    • Filing status
    • Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)/Total Household Resources (THR)
      • If your AGI is a negative number, enter "-" after the number. Example: 1045-