Skip to main content

How and when can I claim a new agreement?

New farmland development rights agreements (FDRA) must be approved by your local government by November 1st to be eligible to be claimed for that tax year.  The new FDRA is not final until the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) receives a copy that has been recorded at the Register of Deeds.  If MDARD has not received a copy by the filing deadline, file your return without claiming credit for the new agreement.  Once MDARD receives a recorded copy, file an MI-1040CR-5 with a new MI-1040.  Check the Amended Return box at the top of page 1 of the MI-1040 form, and file the Schedule AMD and supporting documents including property tax statements.  If the property was purchased in the tax year, you must prorate the property taxes for the period you owned the land and claim your credit based only on those taxes.