Skip to main content

Am I required to file a Michigan return if I was overseas for the entire year?

Yes. Michigan residents are required to file a Michigan return, regardless of where the income is earned. However, military pay is exempt from Michigan tax.  You should file an MI-1040Schedule 1, and Schedule W (even if no Michigan tax was withheld) and subtract military pay, to the extent it is included in adjusted gross income.