Skip to main content

What should I do if my energy draft was sent to a heat provider in error because I do not have an account?

Contact provider immediately. Some heat providers will return the energy draft to Michigan Department of Treasury. If eligible, it will be converted to a check and mailed to you.

If your heat provider returns the energy draft back to you, mail it to the Michigan Department of Treasury and request a check. Include a brief statement as to why the draft is being returned and a copy of your lease agreement and/or property tax statements. If eligible, a check will be mailed to you.


  • Any energy draft that is eligible to be converted into a check may be reduced by 50% or more.
  • At time of filing if heat is included in rent it will be reduced by 50% according to the law.

Mail energy draft to: 

       Michigan Department of Treasury
       P.O. Box 30757
       Lansing, MI 48909