Skip to main content

Can I claim a homestead property tax credit if I moved into/out of Michigan during the year?

You may be eligible to claim a homestead property tax credit if all of the following apply:

  • Your homestead is in Michigan.
  • You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year.
  • You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied.
  • If you own your home, your taxable value is $143,000 or less.
  • Your total household resources are $63,000 or less. Part-year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if the credit reduction applies.
  • Your total household resources do not consist solely of payments received from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.