Skip to main content

Can I file an extension for a fiduciary return?

Yes.  An extension of time to file may be requested by sending a payment of the estimated tax liability with a copy of the federal extension. Treasury will extend the due date to the new federal due date. If a federal extension was not filed, file an Application for Extension of Time to File Michigan Tax Returns (Form 4) with the payment of estimated tax and a 5½ month extension for the fiduciary return will be granted. A notice of approval will not be sent to you.

An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. If the tax due is underestimated and the payment made with the extension request is insufficient, interest is due on the unpaid amount. Interest is computed from April 15 (or the due date of the return) to the date the tax is paid. Interest is 1 percent above prime rate and is adjusted on July 1 and January 1.

Treasury may charge a penalty of 10 percent or more if the balance due is not paid with the extension request. When MI-1041 is filed, include the amount of tax that was paid with the extension request on line 21. Include a copy of the federal or state extension.