The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Letter of Inquiry Concerning Michigan Individual Income Tax
This letter was sent because the Michigan Department of Treasury has increased security to protect Michigan taxpayers and the State from tax related identity theft using a simple Identity Confirmation Quiz. Follow the directions in the letter to take the quiz. If you successfully pass the quiz online, print out the confirmation page and keep with your tax records.
If you are unable to successfully pass the Identity Confirmation Quiz, you must mail copies of all requested items. This includes (but is not limited to:
- Your driver's license/government issued picture ID (and spouse, if applicable)
- Copies of all the following that apply to your return: W-2s, 1099s, SSA-1099, Schedule K-1s and/or Federal Schedule C
- One document from the list below:
- Last paycheck stub of year
- Copy of auto insurance
- Any bill with your name and address issued in the last 90 days
- Account statement for a bank or other financial institution issued within last 90 days