- Beginning on January 7, 2019 Streamlined Sales Tax Simplified Electronic Returns will need to be filed and paid using Michigan Treasury Online at mto.treasury.michigan.gov. Effective on that date, the current Simplified Electronic Return Electronic Filing site will no longer be available. Please log in early to Michigan Treasury Online to establish a Username and Password. You can direct any question to the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-6925.
October 2018: New Wage Statement and Withholding Tax Filing Requirements
2018 Public Act 118 revised due dates and methods of filling withholding statements and tax returns with Treasury. Beginning the 2018 tax year, please note the following changes:
- Wage statements (e.g., W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-MISC) are due to Treasury January 31st. The first due date per the Act is January 31, 2019 for 2018 wage statements.
- Beginning January 2019, employers using MTO will be able to upload wage statements prior to filling Form 5081 (Sales, Use and Withholding Taxes Annual Return).
- The Act did not change the annual return due date. Form 5081 is still due February 28th.
- Employers with greater than or equal to 250 employees must file the required Form 5081 electronically.
- Wage statements should not accompany a mailed Form 5081 filing.
January 2018: Michigan Department of Treasury is committed to keeping your information secure. Beginning January 16, 2018, as MTO users log into their accounts, they will be required to select and provide responses to four (4) security questions. Your responses to these basic questions (such as what is your mother’s maiden name?) will be stored and used to assist in password resets and to enhance user security with MTO. While the questions are mandatory, this is a one-time event and none of the questions require sensitive identity related answers such as social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, or previous addresses. Thank you for helping us keep your information secure!
January 2017: The following improvements to MTO took effect on January 17, 2017:
- W-2 Upload
- E-file Fuel Credit Refund
- Payment Screen Redesign
- In-transit Sale Allocation on the Vehicle Dealer Supplemental Schedule
- Return Submission Authorization Box Changes
- Authorized Declaration–Power of Attorney (POA) Updates
January 2016: In January 2016, the Michigan Department of Treasury released enhancements to the Michigan Treasury Online (MTO) e-services. A major change is the elimination of Michigan Business One Stop, which will provide several benefits to our taxpayers. Including but not limited to :
- Single Sign-On – Taxpayers will use one user name and password to enter the MTO site, file a return, and make a payment.
- Self Service – Taxpayers will have the ability reset their own user name and password.
- A new feature for Sales Use and Withholding Filers: Fast File Now- allows for immediate access to file and pay your tax returns without creating a business relationship.
- Self Delegation – Taxpayers have the ability to select which functions they would like to perform on behalf of the business.
MTO will be unavailable Friday, January 4 at 5:00 p.m. until Monday, January 7 at 8:00 a.m. for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience.