Skip to main content

Marihuana Retailers Excise Tax - Ask A Question

Apply for a License

The marihuana retailers excise (MRE) tax application process begins with licensure with the Cannabis Regulatory Agency, a division of the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. All information about retail cannabis sales and licensing can be found on their website.

Cannabis Regulatory Agency website

Submit an Attestation

Part of the application process for an MRE license will require submitting one or more attestations to Treasury. Send completed attestations to Treasury will review and respond to submitted attestations within 3 business days.

List of Acceptable Attestations:

  • 1-E
  • F-Individual
  • F-Entity
  • F-Supplemental Individual
  • F-Supplemental Entity
  • L-Renewal
  • R-D

Update Your Account

Access Michigan Treasury Online (MTO) to file or pay tax, manage Treasury business tax account information, and authorize a representative/power of attorney.

Michigan Treasury Online

Ask a Question

Taxpayers can utilize the Business Taxes eService to ask Treasury general or account-specific questions related to MRE tax. Treasury provides responses to these questions electronically within 7 business days. If your question is related to a letter you received from Treasury, have a copy of the letter available to provide the Letter ID.

For additional resources and helpful information visit the Business Tax eServices Portal Help Center.

Business Taxes eService

Other ways to contact the Treasury for MRE Tax


Michigan Department of Treasury
P.O. Box 30816
Lansing, MI 48909