Skip to main content

Tax Professionals eServices FAQ

What is a General Inquiry?

General inquiries should be limited to questions that are not related to a specific tax account or issue. Account specific questions sent to Treasury through the general inquiry option will not be answered.

How long will it take to receive a response to an inquiry?

You will receive a response within 7 business days of submitting your inquiry. You will receive an email notification when a response is available on the eService. However, you may check the status of an inquiry at any time by clicking "View Response" and entering the service request number and associated email address.

What is an Account Specific Inquiry?

An account specific inquiry pertains to a particular tax account. When selecting an account specific topic inquiry, you will need to provide details about the tax account and yourself so Treasury can verify that you are authorized to receive information. The type of account specific inquiry you can make differs by tax type but there is always an "other" option.

Can I edit an inquiry after I submit it?

No. Once an inquiry is submitted, you are not able to edit the information that has been submitted. If you need to edit or change the information, you must submit another inquiry.

What happens if I lock myself out?

If you enter inaccurate information three times, you will be temporarily locked out. Please take time to verify your information and try again after 24 hours.

I received the error "No match found!", what should I do?

This error indicates that you have entered a combination of account information or service request record details that does not match a record in our system. Verify the accuracy of the information you entered and try again.

What do I do if I get an error but there aren't any details?

Make note of the error code and description and contact us at 517-636-4486. Providing that to the Customer Service representative that you speak to will expedite the process to get you back on track.

Can I attach a file or a copy of a document to an inquiry?

No. At this time, you cannot attach any files to an inquiry.

How can I find the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Total Household Resources (THR) of the primary filer?

The AGI or THR can be found on your Individual Income Tax Return MI-1040. When prompted to enter this information, there is a Helpful Hint that will display a copy of the return and highlights where to find the AGI or THR.

What should I do if I do not have the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Total Household Resources (THR) of the primary filer?

If you do not have the AGI or THR, you can contact your tax professional for assistance or find the information on the return you filed for the year in question. You will not be able to proceed with the inquiry without this information.

As a service provider, what can I do through the Guest Service portal on Individual Income Tax (IIT) eService?

No. You will not be able to access your client's account through the IIT eService for Account Services. You can ask questions about your client's account through the Tax Professional eService use Guest Services portal options.

As a service provider, what can I do through the Guest Service portal on Individual Income Tax (IIT) eService?

Through the IIT eService Guest Service portal, you have access to all available services including the ability to view estimated payments and calculate estimated penalty and interest. When submitting an inquiry, be sure to use the Tax Professional eService as it will direct your question to the appropriate group in Treasury.

Do I need a Power of Attorney (POA) form on file with Treasury to use the Tax Professionals eService to inquire about my client's account?

For Treasury to disclose any account information, you must have a Power of Attorney on file or be indicated and authorized as the preparer on the return you inquire about. If you do not have one of these permissions, submit an Authorized Representative Declaration/Power of Attorney (Form 151) with Treasury prior to your inquiry and make note of it on your inquiry.