Skip to main content

Identity Theft Information

What is Identity Theft?

Identity theft happens when someone uses your personal or financial information without your permission. It can damage your credit status and cost you time and money.

I Have Been Notified That I Am the Victim of Identity Theft

Michigan residents may also call us at (517) 636-4486. Select any option.

I Already Filed My Return

Send an inquiry to the Michigan Department of Treasury electronically.

Submit an Inquiry

I Haven't Filed My Return Yet

You must file a paper return.

If you received a 1099-G notice, disregard it and do not report the amount listed on the 1099-G on your federal return.

How to File Your Paper Return

I Received a Letter

Unless otherwise noted in the letter, your response must be received in writing. Respond to the letter indicating that you have not filed your return. Include a copy of the letter.

I Don't Have a Filing Requirement in Michigan But...

Why Do I Have to Confirm My Identity Again This Year?

The State of Michigan’s processing system randomly selects returns for review. All returns are equally subject to review.

Identity theft is not always a one-time occurrence. If you are a victim of identity theft, you may be asked to confirm your identity again this year. With tax fraud schemes ever-changing and numerous data breaches, the filing of a Michigan individual income tax return for each tax year must stand on its own.

How to Request Copies of Returns for Investigation

Send us a completed Form 4095, Request and Consent for Disclosure of Michigan Tax Return Information by:

  • Fax at 517-636-5340
  • Or by mail to:
Michigan Department of Treasury
Disclosure Unit
P.O. Box 30832
Lansing, MI 48909

For additional information, please call 517-636-4239.