Skip to main content

File a Paper Return - Victims of Identity Theft

You may use an e-file software to prepare the return or you may manually prepare the Individual Income Tax forms for the appropriate tax year. Once you have completed all necessary documents for your return please print out all forms and schedules along with the following:

Note: All documents must be provided on 8 1/2" x 11" paper.

  • A statement (or an Internal Revenue Service ID Theft Affidavit-Form 14039 if possible) indicating what occurred
  • Copy of your driver’s license/acceptable ID
  • Copy of your Social Security card
  • Copy of your federal return with schedules
  • Copy of your lease or homestead property tax bill (if filing a Michigan Property Tax Credit Claim, MI-1040CR)
  • Copy of your heat bill (if filing a Michigan Home Heating Credit Claim, MI-1040CR-7)
  • Copy of your W-2 and/or 1099 forms 

Mail refund, credit, or zero due returns to:

Michigan Department of Treasury
Lansing, MI 48956

If you owe tax, mail your return and payment to:

Michigan Department of Treasury
Lansing, MI 48929

Once your information is received, we will place an informational “stop” on your account to prevent refunds from being issued on fraudulently filed returns. Verification of your identity will be required before processing future returns.